** UPDATED V2 ** Revised Local Rules Effective from 12th April
*** Please accept our apologies. The original email included an error in the top summary section relating to Preferred Lie in Bunkers. This has now been corrected and aligned with Point 3 further in the email as: The Relief area CANNOT be smoothed before placing. ***
As previously notified, BGGC will be presenting a Course Qualifying for Handicap purposes from Monday 12th April.
The Local Rules in place must therefore meet CONGU criteria in order that scores are acceptable for Handicap record purposes and the previous Winter Local Rules cease to apply after 11th April 2021.
In summary, the Revised Local Rules cover:
• Preferred lies (on the fairway) remain in force.
• Cleaning the Ball is permitted in the General Area (which includes the rough) but the ball must be replaced on its ORIGINAL spot.
• Preferred Lies in Bunkers remains in force but the Relief Area is restricted to 6 inches. The Relief area CANNOT be smoothed before placing.
• Free relief is available from the new drainage channels on the right hand side of the first hole.
The full text of these Local Rules is shown below and a copy has been posted in the Clubhouse foyer.
LOCAL RULES EFFECTIVE FROM 12th April 2021
COURSE IS QUALIFYING FOR HANDICAP PURPOSES
These are in addition to the Local Rules on reverse of the scorecard and will apply until further notice. Previous Winter Local Rules have been withdrawn.
1. PREFERRED LIES
When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area.
• Reference point: spot of the original ball.
• Size of Relief Area measured from Reference Point: 6 inches but with these limits:
• Limits on Location of Relief Area:
-Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
-Must be in the general area.
In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball and use the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14-2b(2) and 14-2e.
2. CLEANING THE BALL.
When a player’s ball lies in the general area the ball may be lifted, cleaned and replaced without penalty. The player must mark the spot before lifting the ball (see Rule 14-1) and the ball must be replaced on its original spot, (see Rule 14-2)
3. PREFERRED LIES IN BUNKERS
You may place your ball within six inches of the original spot, not nearer the hole, but still within the bunker. The relief area CANNOT be smoothed before placing. Please then make your best effort to smooth the sand using a club and/or your feet
4. NEW DRAINAGE CHANNELS ON 1ST HOLE (Right hand side)
If a player’s ball lies on or touches the new drainage channels on the right hand side on the First Hole, or drainage channels interfere with the player’s stance, the player may take relief under Rule 16.1d.
(Free Relief – Reference point is the nearest point of complete relief and a one club-length relief area)